Not to be confused with Best Use of Music in Film, Best Film Songs is about those little musical diversions that actually take center stage in a film and leave an impression. The origin doesn’t matter. A cover song used for good effect can be just as impressive as an original song.
Here are the Best Film Songs of 2012. An asterisk indicates a VOD release. Each film was limited to one ranked entry to allow for a wider discussion. Skip over to Page 4 for a playlist of most of the entries. Three were not available to embed from YouTube.
- Damsels in Distress, “Things Are Looking Up”
- The Devil’s Carnival*, “Grace for Sale”
- Les Miserables, “Lovely Ladies”
- Moonrise Kingdom, “Cuckoo”
- Magic Mike, “Ladies of Tampa”
- Sound of My Voice, “Dreams”
Page 2: #6-4
Page 3: #3-1
Page 4: Playlist